Subject: Re: bug#64735: 29.0.92; find invocations are ~15x slower because of ignores

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 15:09:58 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> > How is this different from binding file-name-handler-alist to nil?
>> > Tramp is nowadays the main consumer of this feature, and AFAIU your
>> > suggestion above boils down to disabling Tramp.  If so, what is left?
>>
>> jka-compr-handler, epa-file-handler and file-name-non-special are
>> left. All of them have their reason.
>
> I know, but when I wrote that disabling file-handlers is
> inconceivable, I meant remote files, not those other users of this
> facility.
>
> Let me rephrase: running Emacs commands with disabled support for
> remote files is inconceivable.

Agreed. My proposal was to provide a convenience macro to disable Tramp
when it is appropriate. Like

(unless (file-remote-p file) (without-remote-files ...))

Instead of binding file-name-handler-alist to nil, as it is the current
practice.

And the command inhibit-remote-files shall be applied only by users who
aren't interested in remote files at all. Again and again: these are
~50% of our users.

> IMO, if tests against file-name-handler-alist are a significant
> performance problem, we should look for ways of solving it without
> disabling remote files.

Sure. If there are proposals ...

Best regards, Michael.