Subject: bug#64735: 29.0.92; find invocations are ~15x slower because of ignores

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 15:04:36 +0200

Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> I am not sure if I understand completely, but it does not appear that
>>> this is used often during ordinary file operations that do not involve
>>> tramp.
>>
>> Don't know, but it is a documented feature for many decades. We
>> shouldn't destroy it intentionally. If we have an alternative, as I have
>> proposed with without-remote-file-names. What's wrong with this? You
>> could use it everywhere, where you let-bind file-name-handler-alist to
>> nil these days.
>
> The idea was to make things work faster without modifying third-party
> code.

People use already (let (file-name-handler-alist) ...). As I have said,
this could have unexpected side effects. I propose to replace this by
(without-remote-files ...)

> And what do you mean by destroy?

"Destroy the feature".

Best regards, Michael.