Subject: Re: bug#64724: 30.0.50; Inconsistency between manual, comments in the code, and implementation of point adjustment

From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 12:14:55 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> The situation I encountered is when point ends up not in the middle, but
>> already on the edge. So, Emacs moving point to _other_ edge was
>> surprising.
>
> That's because where to move point in these situations depends on
> where it was before.  We could describe these details of the
> heuristics we use, but I very much doubt it will be useful in
> practice.  And the heuristics could change in the future, which makes
> this a maintenance problem.

I think you misunderstood.
I know that the logic how Emacs chooses which boundary to move to is not
documented.

However, my problem is not with this logic. My problem is that info page
says that point adjustment happens when point is _inside_ invisible
region. However, in my situation the point is already at the boundary
(that is: _not inside_).

> So I tend to think this bug should be closed with no further action.
> The main purpose of that node is to explain how to disable this point
> adjustment, not describe in detail what it does and how.

Please remember that info page was just one of the points I listed in
the initial report.

-- 
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,
Learn more about Org mode at <https://orgmode.org/>.
Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>,
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/yantar92>