Subject: Re: bug#64724: 30.0.50; Inconsistency between manual, comments in the code, and implementation of point adjustment

From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 07:50:55 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> So, there is no problem with this section of the manual. The problem is
>> that manual does not describe the behavior with invisible text
>> boundaries I was trying to figure out.
>
> Which aspects of the behavior you describe are not mentioned in the
> manual.  It does refer to invisible text.

It talks about "in the middle of a sequence .. that ... is invisible"

    Emacs cannot display the cursor when point is in the middle of a
    sequence of text that has the ‘display’ or ‘composition’ property, or is
    invisible.  Therefore, after a command finishes and returns to the
    command loop, if point is within such a sequence, the command loop
    normally moves point to the edge of the sequence, making this sequence
    effectively intangible.

The situation I encountered is when point ends up not in the middle, but
already on the edge. So, Emacs moving point to _other_ edge was
surprising.

-- 
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,
Learn more about Org mode at <https://orgmode.org/>.
Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>,
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/yantar92>