Subject: bug#64712: 29.0.92; Emacs 29 with native compilation compiles cl-loaddefs.el on every startup

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 14:50:08 -0700

Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>> Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 16:36:18 +0300
>>> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
>>> From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
>>>
>>> I suppose another approach would be along the lines of creating, for
>>> every such file, an artefact in native-compile cache anyway, with
>>> contents which would load the original uncompiled file (I'm assuming
>>> this step won't require extracting the file?).
>>>
>>> Not sure if this is worth the hassle, though.
>>
>> It definitely isn't.
>
> The closest solution to what Dmitry suggested is to actually remove the
> cookie from the file so the eln is produced and we don't try to compile
> it anymore.  It doesn't harm, again not the most elegant exit strategy
> but at least is for free :)

What was the reason that those cookies were added in the first place?

I see that they were added in commit 6c11214dc112, but it doesn't
explain why.  I personally can't see that it would make much of a
difference if we have them or not, but maybe I'm missing something.