Subject: bug#6471: Arabic display by emacs -Q on HELLO

From: David De La Harpe Golden <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 23:58:13 +0100

On 19/06/10 23:16, David De La Harpe Golden wrote:

>
> Aside: HELLO looks distinctly odd around the arabic lines in emacs -Q
> but not with my normal config. Probably independent from the immediate
> scrolling issue and possibly font-dependent, I'll file a separate bug.
>

Yes, emacs -Q is picking this font:

xft:-unknown-Metal-normal-normal-normal-*-13-*-*-*-*-0-iso10646-1

from debian package ttf-arabeyes:

/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-arabeyes/ae_Metal.ttf

and "emacs" this font (in accord with my default font customisation):

xft:-unknown-DejaVu Sans Mono-normal-normal-normal-*-15-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1

Actually, I suspect (not that I know arabic) both cases are displaying 
it incorrectly (not composed), but it looks particularly off with the 
former, with the character cell for the character taking up half the 
screen.  This might be partially a problem with the font in question.

[1]
character: ّ (1617, #o3121, #x651)
preferred charset: arabic-iso8859-6 (Right-Hand Part of ISO/IEC 8859/6 
(Latin/Arabic): ISO-IR-127)
        code point: 0x71
            syntax: w 	which means: word
          category: b:Arabic
       buffer code: #xD9 #x91
         file code: ESC #x2C #x47 #x71 (encoded by coding system 
iso-2022-7bit-unix)
           display: by this font (glyph code)
     xft:-unknown-Metal-normal-normal-normal-*-13-*-*-*-*-0-iso10646-1 
(#x21C)

Character code properties: customize what to show
   name: ARABIC SHADDA
   old-name: ARABIC SHADDAH
   general-category: Mn (Mark, Nonspacing)

There are text properties here:
   charset              arabic-iso8859-6