Subject: bug#64696: 30.0.50; indent-to inherits preceding text properties, including 'invisible

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 15:33:44 -0400

>> FWIW, I can't see any good reason to inherit properties here, other than
>> "we've always done that", but I'd be surprised if making this change
>> won't affect some other use elsewhere :-(
>
> ??? That's a non-starter, from where I stand.

I formulated it differently, but you're just agreeing with the "but ..."
quoted above :-)

> If you really think it can be useful for the inserted whitespace to
> lose _all_ of the properties,

Yes, I think if we could go back in 1994 and not pass that arg back
then, it would have been a better choice and wouldn't have introduced
any significant problem.

> I can suggest a new optional argument to do that.  Would that be
> good enough?

It might indeed be the best we can do now.  It's probably going to be
ugly to get that argument from where we know we need it through other
functions to `indent-to` :-(

But before we go through that, I'd still like to hear the general
context where the problem occurs in Org (e.g. why wasn't
`read-nonsticky` used).

        Stefan