Subject: bug#64696: 30.0.50; indent-to inherits preceding text properties, including 'invisible

From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 16:25:31 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> I was actually trying to understand what alternative behavior you'd
> like to see.

I am not sure, because I do not fully understand how the new
implementation of `current-column' works in the wild.

My general understanding of the indentation is that it works "visually",
so that indentation makes things look aligned to graphical column in
the displayed Emacs windows.

However, I do not fully understand what happens if we try to indent
fully hidden text (like inside Org's folds). See my previous bug
reports: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=56837 and
https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=58791

You mentioned in the past that indenting invisible text does not make
sense, although it does in Org, and things did not break spectacularly
after bug#58791 was fixed.

The overall design of `indent-to' is unfortunately elusive for me.

-- 
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,
Learn more about Org mode at <https://orgmode.org/>.
Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>,
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/yantar92>