Subject: bug#64696: 30.0.50; indent-to inherits preceding text properties, including 'invisible

From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 09:06:04 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> AFAIU, we concluded previously that non-inheriting text properties is a
>> no-go because it will likely break things.
>
> I'm not talking about all the properties, I'm talking only about
> those that affect the visible width of whitespace.  Basically, only
> 'display' properties, I think.

Sounds reasonable.
Do you mean that `indent-to' will only inherit certain 'display
properties and use them to calculate the number of spaces to be
inserted?

>> Not sure what to do with :align-to.
>
> These could be accounted for, but some 'display' properties cannot.
> For example, if the property value is a string, we will be unable to
> indent at all.

If there is an 'invisible overlay on top (or overlay with 'display
property set to string), visual indentation will also be impossible no
matter how many spaces are inserted.

-- 
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,
Learn more about Org mode at <https://orgmode.org/>.
Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>,
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/yantar92>