Subject: bug#64686: 30.0.50; Tar mode @PaxHeader bug

From: Devon Sean McCullough <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 14:31:39 -0400

$ wget 
https://f-droid.org/repo/com.simplemobiletools.voicerecorder_36_src.tar.gz
$ emacs --no-init-file --no-site-file 
com.simplemobiletools.voicerecorder_36_src.tar.gz

should show something like the output of

$ tar -tvz < com.simplemobiletools.voicerecorder_36_src.tar.gz

instead of spurious ././@PaxHeader lines
interleaved with truncated long file names.

         Peace
             --Devon

P.S.  In case it matters:
$ tar --version
tar (GNU tar) 1.34
Copyright (C) 2021 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later 
<https://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.

Written by John Gilmore and Jay Fenlason.
$ type tar
tar is hashed (/usr/bin/tar)
$ ldd /usr/bin/tar
     linux-vdso.so.1 (0x00007ffca7b51000)
     libacl.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libacl.so.1 (0x00007fcd50638000)
     libselinux.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libselinux.so.1 
(0x00007fcd5060c000)
     libc.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (0x00007fcd50438000)
     libpcre2-8.so.0 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpcre2-8.so.0 
(0x00007fcd503a0000)
     libdl.so.2 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2 (0x00007fcd5039a000)
     /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007fcd506e2000)
     libpthread.so.0 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 
(0x00007fcd50378000)

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
  3.24.27, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2023-05-10 built on LQ
Repository revision: e4c8ba6c0589f1ba0ba9993c4f1e9c0821d3ca6c
Repository branch: master
System Description: PureOS 10 (Byzantium)

Configured using:
  'configure --with-pgtk'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ LIBSELINUX
MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PGTK PNG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LC_MONETARY: fr_FR.UTF-8
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: fr_FR.UTF-8
   value of $LC_TIME: fr_FR.UTF-8
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Tar

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   buffer-read-only: t
   line-number-mode: t
   indent-tabs-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils tar-mode arc-mode archive-mode jka-compr rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win
term/common-win pgtk-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 46611 11513)
  (symbols 48 5497 0)
  (strings 32 16893 1459)
  (string-bytes 1 478022)
  (vectors 16 12517)
  (vector-slots 8 186004 14041)
  (floats 8 26 296)
  (intervals 56 2802 5)
  (buffers 976 13))