Subject: 23.2; arc-mode hosed with zip files

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 16:59:36 +0300

This change:

  2010-02-01  Juri Linkov  <[email-masked]>

	  * arc-mode.el (archive-zip-extract): Use `member-ignore-case' to
	  compare with "pkunzip" and "pkzip" instead of only "pkzip".
	  In the `archive-extract-by-stdout' branch use `shell-quote-argument'
	  only when (car archive-zip-extract) is "unzip".  (Bug#5475)

makes arc-mode completely unusable for me with zip archives: trying to
display any file in the archive shows an error message like this:

  caution: filename not matched:  "src/libc/stubs/makefile"

The problem is that the file name is quoted, although we call unzip
via call-process.  The MS-Windows build of unzip does not seem to like
that.  (I have unzip version 5.51.)

This happens both with Emacs 23.2 and the current trunk.

Am I the only one with this problem?

If this happens for everyone else on Windows, I tend to disable the
quoting on DOS and Windows platforms, since being unable to display
files with unusual names is less problematic than being unable to
display _any_ file.

In GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2010-05-08 on HOME-C4E4A596F7
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4)'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENU
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1255
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Mail

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  flyspell-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  temp-buffer-resize-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Recent input:
<down> <down> <down> <down> <return> C-x k <return> 
C-x k <return> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> C-x C-x C-x C-x <prior> <prior> 
<prior> <next> <next> <next> <next> <next> <next> <next> 
<next> <next> <next> <prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> 
<prior> <prior> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> C-r C-w 
C-w C-w C-w C-r C-r C-x C-x C-x C-x C-x C-x C-z C-z 
C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z <help-echo> C-x C-f C-g C-x k <return> 
C-x C-f <up> <up> <C-left> <C-left> <C-left> <C-left> 
<left> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
e s t <return> C-s C-s C-s C-s <M-left> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <up> <down> C-x C-f ~ / 
d a <tab> t <tab> t 1 . z <tab> <return> <down> <return> 
C-x k <return> <down> <return> C-x k <return> C-x k 
<return> C-x C-f C-g <right> <up> <M-left> <up> <up> 
<up> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
C-x C-f C h a n <tab> <return> C-s a r c - m o d e 
C-s C-s C-s <help-echo> <help-echo> <down> <up> <up> 
<up> C-a C-SPC <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> M-w C-x b I N B <tab> <return> m <C-end> <return> 
<return> C-y <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <left> e m a c s - d e v e 
l SPC <backspace> <down> a r c - m o d e SPC c a n 
n o t SPC s h o w SPC <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <switch-frame> <help-echo> <switch-frame> 
<help-echo> <switch-frame> <help-echo> <switch-frame> 
M-x r e p o r t <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Loading tramp...done
Parsing archive file...done.
Mark saved where search started
Quit
Mark saved where search started
Making completion list...
Parsing archive file...done.
Quit
Mark saved where search started
Mark set [3 times]

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug tramp-imap assoc tramp-gw tramp-fish tramp-cache
tramp-ftp tramp-cmds tramp shell format-spec tramp-compat trampver
debug time-stamp tar-mode pp descr-text rmailedit vc-dispatcher
cus-start cus-load quail mule-util ebuff-menu electric compare-w
cc-awk rmailmm auth-source message ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums nnheader gnus-util netrc mm-util
mail-prsvr gmm-utils wid-edit mailheader canlock hashcash smtpmail
dabbrev mailalias mailabbrev sendmail multi-isearch help-mode view
rmailout two-column conf-mode newcomment ld-script sh-script
executable dired-x dired-aux dired tcl generic parse-time nxml-uchnm
rng-xsd xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri
rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns
nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-util nxml-glyph nxml-enc xmltok
sgml-mode arc-mode archive-mode make-mode python-21 python jka-compr
gud comint ring vc-cvs add-log cc-mode cc-fonts cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs regexp-opt flyspell
ispell org-wl org-w3m org-vm org-rmail org-mhe org-mew org-irc
org-jsinfo org-infojs org-html org-exp org-exp-blocks org-agenda
org-info org-gnus org-bibtex org-bbdb org byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile advice help-fns advice-preload org-footnote org-src
org-list org-faces org-compat org-macs time-date noutline outline
easy-mmode vc-bzr sha1 hex-util info easymenu rmailsum rmail
mail-utils desktop server filecache saveplace generic-x paren battery
time tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32
disp-table ls-lisp w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev loaddefs button minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties
overlay md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process multi-tty
emacs)