Subject: bug#64663: MESA shader cache makes OBS not running anymore

From: Giovanni Biscuolo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 12:13:01 +0200

Hello Arne,

"Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide" <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

>> Guillaume Le Vaillant <…> writes:
>>
>>> It looks like an issue with the shader cache of mesa.
>>> After clearing it, I don't see the memory leak anymore.
>>>
>>> Could you try doing a "rm -r $HOME/.cache/mesa_shader_cache/*" and see
>>> if it also solves the issue for you?

[...]

> Can we somehow automate this solution?

This class of issues (cache invalidation) are recurrent and only
upstream can really solve this... or we should have a post-install
action in guix package manager where we program such invalidations when
upgrading, as a _workaround_ (I guess Debian _is_ doing this, for
example)

The "cache invalidation automation via Guix" discussion is something
that predates https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/35683 (May 2019)

The bug you are experiencing is very similar (the same?) reported here:
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/63197

...upstream is still working (?) on the issue:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/8937

All in all this (and all cache invalidation) bug is not Guix specific.

As I already proposed (https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/35683):

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---

we should find a way to make Guix users aware of this kind of problems
and possible workarounds they can apply

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Best regards, Gio'

-- 
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures