Subject: bug#64652: 28.2; Adding a property bug on Windows 11

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 14:36:06 +0300

> From: Mattias Engdegård <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 13:07:01 +0200
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,
>  [email-masked],
>  [email-masked],
>  [email-masked]
> 
> In general we should make an effort to stop the user's locale leaking into elisp code logic. Ideally, case-folding should be property of a regexp or part of it, not controlled by a user-customisable global variable.

That would be equivalent of wrapping some/many of the regexp searches
with with-case-table.  While I agree that it would be cleaner in the
code, the performance concerns Ihor expressed will still be there.

Btw, achieving what you want should be relatively easy: just make the
case-table the property of the regexp, and teach compile_pattern and
friends to look at that, in preference to the buffer's case-table,
when deciding which case-table to use.

> I'm just waiting for the horde of irate Turkish Pascal programmers to complain about broken font-lock.

That should have happened about 20 years ago.