Subject: bug#64648: Can't clone a git repo over anonymous SSH

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2023 10:15:08 -0400

Hello,

Edouard Klein <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi !
>
>>
>> Don't they also offer a HTTP(S) access?  I think libssh as used by
>> libgit2 expects an SSH agent running... I remember wresting with it in a
>> CI context.
>
> Well, "they" is me :) I finally opened up anonymous access via git://
> but I'm not extatic about it, it's one more daemon that can be pwnd.
>
> https://gitlab.com/edouardklein/guix/-/commit/40e320d14b4c583214cdbd45fb47453c5ebb762a
>
> The dedicated service did not work so I rolled my own as a
> sheperd-root-service. I did not have the time to look into the issue.
>
> So the problem remains, but is less urgent because it has been worked
> around for now. Fixing this upstream seems like a hard battle.

OK; I think the best course of action here would be to come up with a
minimal reproducer written in C using all the API available of libgit2
or libssh2 (which is used by libgit2) and report any issue to their
issue tracker and/or work toward a fix.

It'd be interesting to see how libssh compares, and perhaps attempting
to revive this pull request which adds 'libssh' as a backend to libgit2
here [0]

[0]  https://github.com/libgit2/libgit2/pull/5253

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim