Subject: bug#64622: closed (Re: bug#64622: follow-up on save-place-mode not working)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 17:27:02 +0000

Your bug report

#64622: 29.0.92; save-place-mode not working in emacs 29

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
64622: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=64622
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#64622: follow-up on save-place-mode not working
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 20:26:12 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 16:21:31 +0000
> From: emacs.x06kd--- via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
> 
> Please disregard my bug report. I made a noob mistake of trying to load a config file when there was
> still a .emacs file that needed to be removed. save-place-mode works fine now :) 

No sweat.  Closing the bug.

Subject: 29.0.92; save-place-mode not working in emacs 29
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 16:06:01 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

I put (save-place-mode 1) in my init.el, but it does not
work. Additionally, when enabling it via options -> save place in files
between sessions, it enables, but then is disabled again upon closing
and relaunching emacs.

GNU Emacs 29.0.92 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
3.24.38, cairo version 1.17.8) of 2023-07-14 built on localhost
System Description: Gentoo Linux

Configured using:
'configure --prefix=/usr --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
--host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man
--infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc
--localstatedir=/var/lib --datarootdir=/usr/share
--disable-silent-rules --docdir=/usr/share/doc/emacs-29.0.92
--htmldir=/usr/share/doc/emacs-29.0.92/html --libdir=/usr/lib64
--program-suffix=-emacs-29-vcs --includedir=/usr/include/emacs-29-vcs
--infodir=/usr/share/info/emacs-29-vcs --localstatedir=/var
--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
--without-compress-install --without-hesiod --without-pop
--with-file-notification=inotify --with-pdumper --enable-acl
--with-dbus --with-modules --with-gameuser=:gamestat --with-libgmp
--with-gpm --without-native-compilation --with-json --without-kerberos
--without-kerberos5 --with-lcms2 --with-xml2 --without-mailutils
--without-selinux --with-sqlite3 --with-gnutls --with-libsystemd
--with-threads --with-tree-sitter --with-wide-int --with-sound=alsa
--with-zlib --with-pgtk --without-x --without-ns
--with-toolkit-scroll-bars --without-gconf --with-gsettings
--without-harfbuzz --without-libotf --without-m17n-flt
--without-xwidgets --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png --with-rsvg
--with-tiff --with-webp --without-imagemagick --with-dumping=pdumper
'CFLAGS=-march=native -O3 -pipe' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG
SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP
XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/d

Minor modes in effect:
save-place-mode: t
tooltip-mode: t
global-eldoc-mode: t
eldoc-mode: t
show-paren-mode: t
electric-indent-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
tool-bar-mode: t
menu-bar-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
font-lock-mode: t
blink-cursor-mode: t
line-number-mode: t
indent-tabs-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/cmake-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/cmake/cmake-mode
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/desktop-entry-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/desktop-file-utils/desktop-entry-mode

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils vc-git
diff-mode easy-mmode vc-dispatcher cl-loaddefs cl-lib cus-start cus-load
saveplace deeper-blue-theme site-gentoo rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv
eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win pgtk-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
gtk pgtk lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 53837 7368)
(symbols 48 6718 0)
(strings 32 17085 2600)
(string-bytes 1 463653)
(vectors 16 10347)
(vector-slots 8 159304 12125)
(floats 8 29 41)
(intervals 56 572 9)
(buffers 984 14))

Thank you,
Joseph