Subject: bug#64621: closed (Re: bug#64621: 28.2; [PATCH] Document ':all' of 'enable-local-variables' in Emacs manual)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 17:35:03 +0000

Your bug report

#64621: 28.2; [PATCH] Document ':all' of 'enable-local-variables' in Emacs manual

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
64621: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=64621
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#64621: 28.2; [PATCH] Document ':all' of 'enable-local-variables' in Emacs manual
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: YE <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 20:34:32 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 19:11:56 +0300
> From:  YE via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
> 
> The suggested patch documents ':all' value of 'enable-local-variables'
> in the Emacs manual.

Thanks, installed on the emacs-29 branch, and closing the bug.

Subject: 28.2; [PATCH] Document ':all' of 'enable-local-variables' in Emacs manual
From: YE <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 19:11:56 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

The suggested patch documents ':all' value of 'enable-local-variables'
in the Emacs manual.

Currently, the last sentence of 'enable-local-variables' description
(the one starting with "Any other value ...") is not correct and brings
confusion.

I first doubted whether ':all' value was omitted on purpose from the
Emacs manual, but it is already mentioned in doc/emacs/misc.texi (Host
Security).

>From d431b2a4b7c9ecb8d87ca2c1217aa99ae120b119 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: YugaEgo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 18:49:36 +0300
Subject: [PATCH] Improve doc of 'enable-local-variables' in Emacs manual

* doc/emacs/custom.texi (Safe File Variables): Document value ':all'
---
 doc/emacs/custom.texi | 8 +++++---
 1 file changed, 5 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

diff --git a/doc/emacs/custom.texi b/doc/emacs/custom.texi
index d8221f51425..b527af46fa7 100644
--- a/doc/emacs/custom.texi
+++ b/doc/emacs/custom.texi
@@ -1368,9 +1368,11 @@ can include remote directories as well (@pxref{Remote Files}).
 way Emacs processes local variables.  Its default value is @code{t},
 which specifies the behavior described above.  If it is @code{nil},
 Emacs simply ignores all file local variables.  @code{:safe} means use
-only the safe values and ignore the rest.  Any other value says to
-query you about each file that has local variables, without trying to
-determine whether the values are known to be safe.
+only the safe values and ignore the rest.  @code{:all} instructs Emacs
+to set all file local variables (we advise not to use it permanently).
+Any other value says to query you about each file that has local
+variables, without trying to determine whether the values are known to
+be safe.
 
 @vindex enable-local-eval
 @vindex safe-local-eval-forms
-- 
2.39.2 (Apple Git-143)