Subject: [bug#64620] [PATCH] gnu: home: Add home-emacs-service-type.

From: Kierin Bell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 18:32:57 -0400

"(" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Kierin Bell <[email-masked]> writes:
>> Although there is an EXTRA-PACKAGES field for Guix packages (I use it,
>> e.g., for font packages) and a CONFIGURED-PACKAGES field specifically
>> for installing Emacs packages, I do like the idea of having a separate
>> Emacs profile, or even a separate profile for each Emacs server.
>
> Oh, nice.  That means native-comp could be supported quite easily, just
> by transforming the packages.  (I meant that easy native-comp was made
> possible by a PACKAGES field, not by having an Emacs profile :))
>
>> Looking at the Emacs build system modules, I'm not sure exactly how
>> building separate profiles would allow native-comp without transforming
>> the package inputs.  Isn't the build system basically hard-coded to use
>> `emacs-minimal' for building Emacs packages (i.e., unless we manually
>> transform the package inputs)?
>
> Yes, that's what I meant; map a transformation procedure over the Emacs
> packages given :)
>
>   -- (
>
>

Ah, got it!  The confusion was because I actually did borrow your
NATIVE-COMP? field and package transformation idea.  They're already
included in the patch!  (We still have to add custom profiles, though
:))

Thanks.

-- 
Kierin Bell
GPG Key: FCF2 5F08 EA4F 2E3D C7C3  0D41 D14A 8CD3 2D97 0B36