Subject: bug#64619: [PATCH] Add toggle-window-dedicated command

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 20:06:16 +0000 (UTC)

Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> OK, this patch adds support for making the buffer strongly
>>> dedicated with a prefix argument, and also adds an indicator to the
>>> mode line of whether the current window is dedicated (which seems
>>> useful even if we don't apply the toggle part of this patch).
>>
>> Any thoughts on this patch?
>>
>
> Two thoughs:
>
> 1. I would simplify the body of toggle-window-dedicated, using
>
> (set-window-dedicated-p window (not (window-dedicated-p)))
>
> This makes the window "strongly" dedicated, which is more in line with
> what "Window will now display only its current buffer" promises
> (e.g. C-x b will refuse to switch to another buffer).

Ah, see earlier discussion.  We at least want to be able to choose
between strong and non-strong dedication.  And having used this command
I think non-strong dedication is a much better default, since it allows
users to explicitly run C-x b to change buffers without having to switch
off dedication.

> 2. I would not bind it to the "d" key but to the "!" key: ISTM that
> toggling window dedication is not such a common action that it needs a
> letter key binding.

It's not common at the moment, but I expect some users will use this
command quite frequently.  Also the C-x w prefix is pretty empty at the
moment, so it's not as if it's competing with anything.