Subject: Re: bug#64619: [PATCH] Add toggle-window-dedicated command

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 11:23:18 +0000 (UTC)

Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>> I didn't know about switch-to-buffer-in-dedicated-window.  It does
>> resolve the basic annoyance I described, of C-x b not working.
>>
>
> Great!

To be clear, as I said, I still don't think the existence of
switch-to-buffer-in-dedicated-window means toggle-window-dedicated
should default to weak dedication :)

>> But, it affects all windows, not just ones that have been
>> interactively dedicated by the user.
>>
>
> Indeed, that option is used for C-x b in all dedicated windows.
>
>>
>> I personally have just set switch-to-buffer-in-dedicated-window to
>> `pop', so that C-x b works when I happen to be in a window which was
>> made strongly dedicated by a Lisp program.  But for windows which I
>> interactively choose to dedicate with toggle-window-dedicated, I
>> think I'd prefer the `t' behavior.  Which is effectively what we
>> have now by weakly dedicating the window.
>>
>
> It is wise to go into such refinements for a new command that, as Eli
> says, is a bit borderline?  Right now window dedication is not even
> mentioned in the Emacs manual.  Perhaps a new value for
> switch-to-buffer-in-dedicated-window, which would prompt the user and
> offer them the choice to either display the buffer in the current
> window or in another window, would be enough (and more generally
> useful)?

No "refinments" are necessary, this is exactly the behavior which is
achieved by just using weak dedication, like the command in my patch
currently does.

I'm happy to make it customizable, though.  I just believe the default
should be weak dedication.