Subject: Re: bug#646: emacsclient with no args to behave like -a

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 06:14:56 +0200

Jim Porter <[email-masked]> writes:

> From my reading, this is the original reporter's preferred behavior:
>
>   1) If Emacs is not currently running
>      a) `emacsclient file.txt' starts Emacs and opens file.txt
>      b) `emacsclient' starts Emacs (as though running `emacs')
>   2) If Emacs is currently running
>      a) `emacsclient file.txt' opens file.txt in the existing Emacs session
>      b) `emacsclient' brings some frame in the existing Emacs session
>      to the foreground

That's not my reading.  The bug reporter said "It would be nice if
emacsclient, when called with no arguments, would just run the alternate
editor."  I.e., emulate the "-a" parameter when called with no
parameters.

(He's also using Emacs as the alternate, but that's just a detail.)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no