Subject: Re: bug#646: emacsclient with no args to behave like -a

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 05:31:52 +0200

"J. Pablo "Fernández\"" <[email-masked]> writes:

> It would be nice if emacsclient, when called with no arguments, would
> just run the alternate editor. I've configured emacs as my alternate
> editor so emacsclient for me is basically a "open this in an existing
> emacs or run one otherwise", the only problem for that to work
> completely is having it working with no arguments.

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately weren't
resolved at the time.)

It seems like this has been fixed in the 13 years since it was reported.

I did:

larsi@elva:~/src/emacs/trunk$ export ALTERNATE_EDITOR=nano
larsi@elva:~/src/emacs/trunk$ ./lib-src/emacsclient /tmp/foo

and that opened nano.

So I'm closing this bug report.  If there's more to be done here, please
respond to the debbugs address and we'll reopen.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no