Subject: Re: bug#64593: ‘guix system image’ fails to create image while invoking ‘grub-bios-setup’

From: Josselin Poiret <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 10:43:55 +0200

Hi Sergey,

Sergey Trofimov <[email-masked]> writes:

> shouldn't it be `(bootloader grub-efi-bootloader)` if you're 
> building a `efi-raw` image?
> With efi grub it builds and boots just fine, as I've tested before 
> submitting the patch.

I think I agree with you that you should expect efi images to use efi
bootloaders.  The efi-raw image name is a bit misleading I would argue,
since the image type doesn't decide what bootloader is used, and using a
BIOS bootloader with an efi image seems a bit weird.  The fact that it's
used as the default image type is a bit troubling though, so we could
add a new default image type that uses MBR, so that BIOS bootloaders
work with it.

WDYT Ludo?

Best,
-- 
Josselin Poiret