Subject: bug#64586: Emacs-Packages should contain native-compiled files

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 17:37:11 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, 12 Jul 2023 at 21:36, Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]> wrote:

> You are correct, but unlike other language ecosystems (e.g. Python or
> Common Lisp), we don't have a convenient "package-with-emacs" as of
> yet.  This is basically step 3 of <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/63984#0>
> of which only step 1 has been concluded so far.  (In fact, I need to
> merge 29.0.92 into emacs-team, but that shouldn't be as difficult as
> the rest in there.)  If you want things to happen faster, just tag your
> patches with emacs-team and we will review them :)

Just to point that a kind of ’package-with-emacs’ had been discussed in
#41732 [1] and my current understanding is that some corner cases are
annoying.

Emacs packages use 3 variants for “compiling“: emacs-minimal, emacs-no-x
and emacs; see #:emacs in arguments field.

(And I let aside emacs-no-x-toolkit. :-))

Therefore, it does not appear to me easy to have some generic
package-with-emacs for rewriting the “compiler” of the Emacs packages.
Somehow, a profile containing Emacs packages has these packages not
necessary built with the same Emacs build-system compiler but still work
together; contrary to Python, Common Lisp, OCaml or others.

And I do not know what could be an handy way to declare Emacs package
variants.  Any idea?

1: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/41732

Cheers,
simon