Subject: bug#6458: 23.2; [PATCH] etc/PROBLEMS

From: Ken Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 14:58:12 -0400

etc/PROBLEMS contains obsolete information about building Emacs for 
Cygwin.  The attached patch brings it up to date.  Please apply.  [The 
diff was made against the emacs-23 version of etc/PROBLEMS, but it 
should eventually be applied to both emacs-23 and the trunk.]
--- PROBLEMS.orig	2010-05-03 07:07:58.000000000 -0400
+++ PROBLEMS	2010-06-18 14:47:17.593750000 -0400
@@ -2477,17 +2477,10 @@
 
 (using the location of the 32-bit X libraries on your system).
 
-*** Building the Cygwin port for MS-Windows can fail with some GCC versions
+*** Building Emacs for Cygwin can fail with GCC 3
 
-Building Emacs 22 with Cygwin builds of GCC 3.4.4-1 and 3.4.4-2 is
-reported to either fail or cause Emacs to segfault at run time.  In
-addition, the Cygwin GCC 3.4.4-2 has problems with generating debug
-info.  Cygwin users are advised not to use these versions of GCC for
-compiling Emacs.  GCC versions 4.0.3, 4.0.4, 4.1.1, and 4.1.2
-reportedly build a working Cygwin binary of Emacs, so we recommend
-these GCC versions.  Note that these versions of GCC, 4.0.3, 4.0.4,
-4.1.1, and 4.1.2, are currently the _only_ versions known to succeed
-in building Emacs (as of v22.1).
+As of Emacs 22.1, there have been stability problems with Cygwin
+builds of Emacs using GCC 3.  Cygwin users are advised to use GCC 4.
 
 *** Building the native MS-Windows port fails due to unresolved externals