Subject: bug#64575: 29.0.92; Help buffers are unnecessarily under Outline mode

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 22:18:41 +0300

To reproduce:

  emacs -Q
  C-h f directory-name-p RET

Observe that the *Help* buffer is under Help mode, as expected.

  C-h b

Now the *Help* buffer is under Help mode and Outline minor mode, also
as expected.

  C-h f file-directory-p RET

The *Help* buffer is still under Outline minor mode, although it now
makes no sense, since there are no heading lines in the buffer.

The actual functions you use in "C-h f" don't matter; the point is
that the Outline minor mode, once set by "C-h b", stays turned on in
the *Help* buffers, instead of being reset when not needed.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.92 (build 29, i686-pc-mingw32) of 2023-07-10 built on
 HOME-C4E4A596F7
Repository revision: 419b4d44914701cedf308df58c3e5789715c87e7
Repository branch: emacs-29
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
System Description: Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (v5.1.0.2600)

Configured using:
 'configure -C --prefix=/d/usr --with-wide-int
 --enable-checking=yes,glyphs 'CFLAGS=-O0 -gdwarf-4 -g3''

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY
W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1255

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils shortdoc text-property-search
thingatpt help-fns radix-tree cl-extra noutline outline icons kmacro
facemenu two-column subr-x help-mode cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl
tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table
term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads w32notify w32 lcms2 multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 60866 13834)
 (symbols 48 6982 0)
 (strings 16 21661 3035)
 (string-bytes 1 493258)
 (vectors 16 10800)
 (vector-slots 8 162298 13373)
 (floats 8 90 170)
 (intervals 40 454 400)
 (buffers 888 13))