Subject: bug#64574: [PATCH] Support not jumping to bol in beginning-of-defun

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2025 09:15:03 +0200

> From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2025 06:40:44 +0000
> Cc: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >> From: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>
> >> Cc: [email-masked]
> >> Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 10:57:50 -0400
> >>
> >> Revised patch:
> >
> > Thanks.  Please add a NEWS entry, and we can install this then.
> 
> Actually, thinking about this, we use this function not just as a
> command, but also in a lot of code that is built on the assumption that
> point moves to point zero.

What do you mean by "point zero"?

> So wouldn't installing this, as proposed, risk leading to a lot of
> things breaking?

The default behavior is unchanged.  As for when users change the
default, the only difference is that beginning-of-defun will end not
necessarily at column zero, but at some other column in the same line,
where the function's declaration begins.  I don't see how this could
break things, but maybe I'm missing something?  Can you point to
places where we assume pointy is at column zero after calling
beginning-of-defun?