Subject: Re: bug#64546: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Add support for explicitly-remote commands in Eshell

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 09:24:54 +0200

Jim Porter <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Jim,

> This patch adds the ability to run a command in Eshell from any host,
> no matter your current directory. For example, you could run
> "/ssh:user@remote:whoami" from a local dir, which would run "whoami"
> over the SSH connection for "user@remote".

Looks nice. But what if I want to run a command on another remote host
with an absolute path? Would "/ssh:user@remote:/usr/bin/whoami" also be
possible?

> Similarly, you could run "/:whoami" to run the local "whoami" even
> from a remote dir.

The same question. What about calling "/:/usr/bin/whoami"?

> +By default, commands like @code{ssh} and @code{sudo} use the external
> +programs by those names, so if you ran @samp{ssh
> +@var{user}@@@var{remote}}, you would end up in the default shell
> +program for @var{user} on @var{remote}, @emph{not} in Eshell.  If you
> +prefer to use commands like @code{ssh} but remain in Eshell
> +afterwards, you can enable the optional Tramp extensions (@pxref{Tramp
> +extensions}).

This surprises me. I thought, that only "doas", "su" and "sudo" are built-ins.

Best regards, Michael.