Subject: bug#64534: emacs tramp-remote-path does not include guix home

From: Zacchaeus Scheffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2023 11:12:05 -0700

Hi Guix!

I noticed that the emacs package has the following value for
tramp-remote-path out of the box:

(tramp-default-remote-path "~/.guix-profile/bin" "~/.guix-profile/sbin"
"/run/current-system/profile/bin" "/run/current-system/profile/sbin"
"/bin" "/usr/bin" "/sbin" "/usr/sbin" "/usr/local/bin" ...)

This does not seem to include guix home bin dirs.  Indeed, when I
connect to my remote machine via tramp, and try to run "git", I get:

git: command not found

This can be fixed by evaluating:

(setq tramp-remote-path (-cons* "~/.guix-home/profile/bin"
                                "~/.guix-home/profile/sbin"
                                tramp-remote-path))
(tramp-cleanup-all-connections)

In which case, running "git" in a remote shell gives the expected git
help message.

Is there a reason guix home bin dirs are omitted?

-Zacchae