Subject: [bug#64528] [PATCH v2] gnu: mesa: Fix Vulkan on older Intel GPUs.

From: John Kehayias <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 21:25:57 +0000

Hi Liliana,

On Sun, Jul 16, 2023 at 08:28 PM, Liliana Marie Prikler wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> Am Sonntag, dem 16.07.2023 um 18:06 +0000 schrieb John Kehayias:
>> Ah, sorry I didn't see and respond earlier as we have a mesa-updates
>> branch that I'm just waiting for the go ahead to merge to master. It
>> updates mesa and is already built on Cuirass.
>>
>> How can we ensure that upon merging we don't cause the full rebuild?
>> Should I revert this, apply the updates, and then do this graft? Or
>> will applying the update on top of this graft commit be okay too?
> Since this graft is phrased as more or less a package transformation, I
> would expect it to still apply (more or less) on top of any update you
> do on mesa-updates.  If you already fixed the package on mesa-updates,
> then you can simply drop the replacement during your regular merge of
> master into mesa-updates.  Similarly, if you want to do away with the
> graft, but haven't done so yet, you can inline the changes after the
> merge.  In either case, it should be done before mesa-updates gets
> pushed to master.
>

I added a new commit on mesa-updates (after rebasing on master) to
ungraft, incorporating this change in mesa directly now.

>> My original thought was that this shouldn't be grafted but can just
>> be applied directly to mesa-updates with the next round of patches
>> there, as this one is already built. This could be done pretty
>> quickly, though I expect a new mesa version soon that I would group
>> this with, along with some other mass rebuild changes waiting. I
>> think on the order of a couple or few weeks.
>>
>> What do we all think? (Sorry there is no mesa team as of yet, not
>> sure how to set that up without it applying to a too large scope of
>> packages by default.)
> I think grafting this for now, but undoing the graft on mesa-updates is
> the way to go.  In my humble opinion we should fix bugs on master as
> they arise while doing long-term solutions in teams where we have more
> resources for big builds.
>

Sure, sounds good. I ended up updating mesa again along with a few
other patches and somewhat related updates; letting things rebuild now
and hope to merge to master once that looks good.

Thanks!
John