Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] gnu: mesa: Fix Vulkan on older Intel GPUs.

From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 20:28:33 +0200

Hi John,

Am Sonntag, dem 16.07.2023 um 18:06 +0000 schrieb John Kehayias:
> Ah, sorry I didn't see and respond earlier as we have a mesa-updates
> branch that I'm just waiting for the go ahead to merge to master. It
> updates mesa and is already built on Cuirass.
> 
> How can we ensure that upon merging we don't cause the full rebuild?
> Should I revert this, apply the updates, and then do this graft? Or
> will applying the update on top of this graft commit be okay too?
Since this graft is phrased as more or less a package transformation, I
would expect it to still apply (more or less) on top of any update you
do on mesa-updates.  If you already fixed the package on mesa-updates,
then you can simply drop the replacement during your regular merge of
master into mesa-updates.  Similarly, if you want to do away with the
graft, but haven't done so yet, you can inline the changes after the
merge.  In either case, it should be done before mesa-updates gets
pushed to master.

> My original thought was that this shouldn't be grafted but can just
> be applied directly to mesa-updates with the next round of patches
> there, as this one is already built. This could be done pretty
> quickly, though I expect a new mesa version soon that I would group
> this with, along with some other mass rebuild changes waiting. I
> think on the order of a couple or few weeks.
> 
> What do we all think? (Sorry there is no mesa team as of yet, not
> sure how to set that up without it applying to a too large scope of
> packages by default.)
I think grafting this for now, but undoing the graft on mesa-updates is
the way to go.  In my humble opinion we should fix bugs on master as
they arise while doing long-term solutions in teams where we have more
resources for big builds.

Cheers