Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] gnu: mesa: Fix Vulkan on older Intel GPUs.

From: John Kehayias <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 18:06:56 +0000

Hello,

Liliana Prikler wrote:
>Am Samstag, dem 08.07.2023 um 13:29 -0500 schrieb Lilah Tascheter:
>> Mesa split the Vulkan intel driver into two: intel and intel_hasvk.
>> Enables intel_hasvk so vulkan functions on older intel GPUs again,
>> and swrast for lavapipe as a fallback.
>>
>> * gnu/packages/gl.scm (mesa-vulkan-hasvk): New variable.
>>   (mesa): Graft with mesa-vulkan-hasvk.
>> ---
>Pushed.

Ah, sorry I didn't see and respond earlier as we have a mesa-updates
branch that I'm just waiting for the go ahead to merge to master. It
updates mesa and is already built on Cuirass.

How can we ensure that upon merging we don't cause the full rebuild?
Should I revert this, apply the updates, and then do this graft? Or will
applying the update on top of this graft commit be okay too?

My original thought was that this shouldn't be grafted but can just be
applied directly to mesa-updates with the next round of patches there,
as this one is already built. This could be done pretty quickly, though
I expect a new mesa version soon that I would group this with, along
with some other mass rebuild changes waiting. I think on the order of a
couple or few weeks.

What do we all think? (Sorry there is no mesa team as of yet, not sure
how to set that up without it applying to a too large scope of packages
by default.)

Thanks,
John