Subject: bug#64509: Guile packages should install versioned aliases for binaries (guile-X.Y, guild-X.Y, etc.)

From: "Zack Weinberg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 12:09:21 -0400

On Tue, Aug 15, 2023, at 5:33 PM, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> The Guile packages currently install all their binaries under their
>> basic name only, e.g.
...
>> This is a problem for building Guix
>> itself from source in a non-pure ‘guix shell -D guix’ on top of a
>> foreign distro that provides a ‘guile-3.0’ binary but not the other
>> four programs:
>
> I think the solution is to use ‘guix shell -D guix -CP’: that’ll give
> you a container, where /usr/bin/guile-3.0 isn’t accessible, which
> ensures there’s no interference.

I can't use container mode (or pure mode), because there's another
layer in the way: I'm using <https://github.com/purcell/envrc> to
pull settings out of `guix shell` and poke them into Emacs.  This
inherently only supports non-pure operation.

zw