Subject: Re: [bug#64504] [PATCH] gnu: Add unsio.

From: Iliya Tikhonenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2023 13:37:14 +0200

Hello!

I am the author of the initial version of this patch (kudos to Sharlatan 
for cleaning it up and bringing to guix proper!)

On 8/8/23 11:29, Andreas Enge wrote:
> For the #:build-type, the default value (release with debug information) also works and results in a package of the same size. Is there a reason to change it? Modified patch attached.
The debug build type is unnecessary verbose (see src/uns.cc line 71-73 
for an example) to the point that it impacts performance sometimes, 
which is important considering the usecase of the library.

> I can also compile the package without the configure flags, are they useful?
Checked again, I still cannot compile it without -DCMAKE_CXX_STANDARD=14

> And there are lots of warnings about 34 bit shifts in a 32 bit type.
> But I suppose you tested that the library works.
I have not noticed any issues using it during the past two years, but 
this cannot be considered a proper test because I am actually using a 
small subset of the library. Perhaps, this warning should be reported 
upstream, thanks!

All the best,
Iliya