Subject: Re: bug#64487: 29.0.92; Another tree-sitter warning inside Custom

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:02:43 +0200

> Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 18:55:09 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
> 
> I remember you saying that it was a question which is settled until any 
> other problems come up. Isn't this an example of such problem?

No, I don't think so.  It is a very special case, which is rarely a
problem (only if the user decides eventually not to activate the
mode).

> >> Do I understand it right that performing the simple steps that Po Lu
> >> outlined would silently assign ruby-ts-mode to *.rb files? And a bunch
> >> of other such modes that get loaded as well. But only until the end of
> >> the session.
> > 
> > Could be, I didn't try.  If that's what happens, patches to avoid such
> > a long-lasting effect, without changing what happens when the package
> > is loaded outside of the Customize context, will be welcome.
> 
> I don't have any solutions to suggest except holding to the principle 
> that simply loading a package has as few side-effects as possible. Which 
> would mean reverting your earlier decision.

I don't see a reason for such radical solutions because of this use
case.