Subject: [bug#64471] [PATCH 0/2] File database update services

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2023 11:59:44 +0200

Hi!

These patches add two system services to periodically update file
databases: one for 'updatedb', and one for 'guix locate --update'.

I did not add them to '%base-services' mainly because: (1) 'updatedb'
builds a database of all the files available on the system, which
can be a problem on multi-user systems, and (2) the 'guix locate'
service is quite expensive ('time-machine' + 'store' method by
default) and eventually users may often download a pre-built database
from ci.guix or similar.

Thoughts?

Ludo'.

Ludovic Courtès (2):
  services: Add 'file-database' service.
  services: Add 'package-database' service.

 doc/guix.texi          | 111 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-
 gnu/services/admin.scm | 116 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 2 files changed, 226 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

base-commit: c4a836f65d178786a5dd1f7c2d9491bb2c7482b3
-- 
2.40.1