Subject: Re: bug#64445: 30.0.50; Android: Emacs cannot access /storage/emulated/0 although other apps can

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 12:13:11 +0800

While I never did manage to locate the cause of this bug, two new
workarounds for it are now possible.

The first is to type:

  M-x android-request-storage-access

and select the ``internal storage'' directory from the file manager
dialog displayed.  It will then appear under:

  /content/storage/com.android.externalstorage*

Mind that this form of file access is somewhat slow due to inept
programming by the Android developers:

  https://issuetracker.google.com/u/1/issues/293494717

which they have dismissed, since they are evidently incapable of
attaining even the most elementary levels of reading comprehension, and
consequent of being implemented in Java, files within /content/storage
will be inaccessible to subprocesses.

The second is to install Termux-enabled builds (see the README in the
Sourceforge repository for further details), in which case any
permissions you grant Termux will also be extended to cover Emacs.