Subject: bug#64444: 30.0.50; Android: Default font size too small

From: Milan Zamazal <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2023 17:20:37 +0200

>>>>> "PL" == Po Lu <[email-masked]> writes:

    PL> After some testing on a Samsung device, I've discovered that the
    PL> font size is not really too small: instead, the point size Emacs
    PL> uses by default is typical of desktop devices.  Interestingly,
    PL> this effect is more pronounced on machines made by Samsung.

Do you mean point size in pixels or a physical point size?

Anyway, the difference may be subtle and depends on the user.  For
example, when I enlarge the Emacs font size by less than 50% on my
phone, my tapping success rate increases a lot.

    PL> I'd simply recommend that you adjust the size of the default and
    PL> menu-bar faces to better suit your needs.  

This is not a big problem for me anymore, since I already know what to
do *exactly*.  It requires just three successful taps (hitting Options
menu, the font size field and State button), which is manageable even
when it’s significantly unreliable.  But what looks easy to me now
didn’t look easy to me at all when I ran Emacs for the first time and
couldn’t handle it because of the small size of the UI elements and the
lack of a keyboard.

All the other Android applications I use either start with reasonable
sizes of the UI elements by default or provide an easy and obvious way
to adjust the font size.

If this is not possible with Emacs on all devices, FAQ might help (I can
draft ones if it helps).

    PL> It would also be helpful if you chould share a screenshot, to
    PL> make sure we're seeing the same default font size.

Here are the screenshots from my phone (6,3“) and my e-ink reader
(13,3”), this is what I see when starting a freshly installed Emacs: