Subject: bug#64444: 30.0.50; Android: Default font size too small

From: Milan Zamazal <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2023 20:52:32 +0200

When I start the native Android Emacs on my phone or on my 13" e-ink
reader, the font size in both the menu bar and buffers is too small (no
more than 2 millimeters on both the devices) to be able to tap things at
least partially reliably with my fingers, similarly with the tool bar.
The vertical menu displayed after tapping a menu bar item has large
text.

I would expect that the default font size would be something like the
system default font size (which is much larger than the font size in
Emacs).

The output from report-emacs-bug below is copied from my phone.

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, aarch64-unknown-linux-android29) of
 2023-07-02 built on xeon
Repository revision: 2baf2c5fd9abe465a53e035131667e06ef553123
Windowing system distributor 'samsung', version 33.0.0
Android version and manufacturer: samsung/xcoverproeea/xcoverpro:13/TP1A.220624.014/G715FNXXUCFWF1:user/release-keys
Configured using:
 'configure --with-png=yes --with-webp=yes --with-gif=yes
 --with-json=ifavailable --with-jpeg=yes --with-xml2=yes
 --with-sqlite3=yes --with-gnutls=yes --with-tiff=yes --with-selinux=yes
 --with-modules=yes --with-tree-sitter=yes --with-imagemagick=no
 --with-lcms2=yes --with-mailutils= --with-pop=no-by-default
 --with-harfbuzz=yes --enable-check-lisp-object-type= 'CFLAGS=-O2
 -Werror=implicit-function-declaration''

Configured features:
GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG SECCOMP SQLITE3 TIFF TREE_SITTER WEBP ZLIB

Important settings:
  locale-coding-system: nil

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip cus-start cconv eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
android-win term/common-win ls-lisp touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote inotify android multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 39508 12643) (symbols 48 5063 0) (strings 32 14243 2063)
 (string-bytes 1 366586) (vectors 16 9569)
 (vector-slots 8 139592 12001) (floats 8 38 26) (intervals 56 671 13)
 (buffers 992 11))