Subject: Re: bug#64440: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Highlight on non toolkit menu bar items

From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 18:48:11 +0200

Po Lu <[email-masked]> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>> From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
>>> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
>>> Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2023 21:19:58 +0800
>>> 
>>> Please, let's not argue over this, when the alternative is to
>>> introduce what is at the maximum 10 lines of straightforward code.
>>
>> I could agree if you applied the same standards and criteria to
>> arguments where you are the party that is being asked to write or
>> change a few lines.  There, you tend to argue endlessly, it seems.
>
> I try my best, but sometimes it's challenging not to get worked up over
> these things.  I hope that doesn't happen here: no other program on Unix
> systems highlight menu bar entries as the mouse pointer enters them.

Ok.  I'm going to explain my history behind this patch:

I was annoyed by the fact that moving the mouse pointer from a buffer to
the menu bar most of the time (in no toolkit build anyway), the mouse
pointer keeps its "vertical bar" form.  So that was, at first, what I
wanted to change.

I then look at the code and discover those 'note_*_highlight' functions
and how they are used to highlight areas (buttons) on the tool bar or
the tab bar.  And I thought "why not use this feature?  it could be even
better than what I wanted!"

But now, I'm not so sure.  Just changing the mouse pointer (to an arrow,
for instance) when entering the menu bar might be sufficient (and what
was my first intent).  And I don't think that it should respect
'mouse-highlight' BTW.

What do you think, if I rework my patch with this idea in mind?
-- 
Manuel Giraud