Subject: 28.2; auto-fill-mode gets turned on all over the place

From: David Howells <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2023 16:55:05 +0100

Hi,

I'm seeing an issue in which auto-fill-mode gets turned on for all the buffers
in a running emacs instance, including the command entry window (M-x, grep,
compile, etc.).  This is a problem as it starts mangling the code I'm working
on and making it harder to enter long commands (such as grep or compile
commands).  I can turn it off manually on most buffers (though not the command
window), but it immediately turns back on in a buffer if I have to reload it.

The problem has happened in several emacs instances now.  It shows up in the
instances I've been using to edit C code and view patches.  It takes a little
while for the problem to manifest when it does.  I'm not sure what triggers
it.

It doesn't, however, happen in the emacs instances I've been using to read my
mail with MH and edit occasional text files on the same system.

In both cases, the emacs instances are typically running for multiple weeks
till I need to reboot - or the issue becomes sufficiently irritating that I
restart emacs.

Thanks,
David

In GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 1, x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.37, cairo version 1.17.8)
 of 2023-05-02 built on 0cdeb17096554a4c83d448c2d2754877
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12014000
System Description: Fedora Linux 39 (Rawhide Prerelease)

Configured using:
 'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --program-prefix= --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr
 --exec-prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var --runstatedir=/run
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png --with-rsvg --with-tiff
 --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-gpm=no --with-xwidgets --with-modules
 --with-harfbuzz --with-cairo --with-json --with-native-compilation
 build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu CC=gcc
 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -flto=auto -ffat-lto-objects -fexceptions -g
 -grecord-gcc-switches -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security
 -Wp,-U_FORTIFY_SOURCE,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3 -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1 -fstack-protector-strong
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1 -m64 -mtune=generic
 -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection
 -fno-omit-frame-pointer -mno-omit-leaf-frame-pointer ' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11
XDBE XIM XPM XWIDGETS GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Diff

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: do-auto-fill
  indent-tabs-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml
mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
auth-source eieio eieio-core eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils face-remap
make-mode help-fns radix-tree cl-print debug backtrace find-func conf-mode
vc-annotate vc-mtn vc-hg vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs add-log
log-view pcvs-util vc rect smerge-mode diff pulse color rmc etags fileloop
generator xref project hippie-exp misearch multi-isearch shell pcomplete
thingatpt files-x grep compile text-property-search comint ansi-color ring
time-date jka-compr vc-git vc-dispatcher cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus
cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs comp comp-cstr warnings
subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs cl-extra help-mode seq byte-opt gv cl-loaddefs cl-lib
bytecomp byte-compile cconv diff-mode easy-mmode time iso-transl tooltip eldoc
paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode
register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame
minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj
charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads xwidget-internal
dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process native-compile
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 858994 53275)
 (symbols 48 17882 0)
 (strings 32 99037 4596)
 (string-bytes 1 5475389)
 (vectors 16 30928)
 (vector-slots 8 670739 45813)
 (floats 8 146 348)
 (intervals 56 136420 2641)
 (buffers 992 115))