Subject: bug#64439: 28.2; auto-fill-mode gets turned on all over the place

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 19:28:53 +0200

Jim Porter <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Jim,

>>> I've only ever seen this happen when
>>> 'ask-user-about-supersession-threat' is in the stack. The backtraces
>>> I've captured all include Tramp too, but I'm not sure the latter is
>>> actually necessary to reproduce this bug, or if it just changes the
>>> timings to make it more likely.
>> "Timings"? is this stuff asynchronous in some sense?  Michael, any
>> ideas?
>
> It's just a guess, but if some other Lisp code can run while Tramp is
> fetching the file data, that could possibly cause some issue.

Sure, there timers, process filters, process sentinels, dbus
handlers, file notification handlers, you name it.

But my guess is that you're fighting with connection-local
variables. They do manipulate buffer-local variables.

Best regards, Michael.