Subject: bug#6443: 23.2; Many files take 6-15 seconds to open after upgrade to 23.2 on WinXP

From: Keith M Swartz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 21:18:41 -0700

This bug report will be sent to the Free Software Foundation,
not to your local site managers!
Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Your bug report will be posted to the [email-masked] mailing list,
and to the gnu.emacs.bug news group.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give
a recipe starting from `emacs -Q':

---------

Upgraded from emacs 22.3 to 23.2.1 on Windows XP SP 3, using pre-built 
binaries from ftp.gnu.org. I've found that emacs is frequently 
unresponsive, would hang for several seconds during routine operations, 
including auto-save, etc. Did some searching, and found that default 
setting for w32-get-true-file-attributes had changed, so I reverted that 
back to nil -- this helped.

Now, at best, opening files takes about 1-2 seconds, which is 
acceptable. But sometimes, it still takes 6-8 seconds to open files. 
I've confirmed there is no CPU usage during this time, and Process 
Monitor does not show enough specific information to determine whether 
it's an I/O call it's hanging on, or what I/O call that is. Ctrl-G is 
unresponsive and doesn't act until after control resumes. I can 
reproduce this even with no startup files, and it happens just as often.

It APPEARED for a while that turning off font-lock-mode globally helped, 
but I think that may be a red herring. When turning it off, the first 
few file opens would usually go quickly, but after that, opening a file 
from a new location would bring back the 6-8 second hang. Not EVERY file 
opens this slowly, but enough do that it definitely interrupts the work 
flow.

All of my operations are happening locally, and not on a network drive. 
I have a network drive defined, but even when the drive is not mounted, 
the hangs still occur.

I have AV software installed, but can't disable it (due to corporate 
settings) -- however, I haven't seen this problem manifest in any other 
program, so I'm hesitant to blame that.

I am working on testing with another machine to see if I can reproduce, 
but advice on key differences to look for would be helpful.

---------

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
c:/emacs/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2010-05-08 on G41R2F1
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4) --no-opt --cflags 
-Ic:/xpm/include'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENU
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: XSL

Minor modes in effect:
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-c t C-x C-f C-g M-< C-n <tab> <tab> <tab> <tab> <tab>
<tab> C-n C-n C-n C-n <tab> C-u C-n C-u C-p <tab> C-n
C-x C-f M-b C-k w w w / w r i <tab> i n <tab> <return>
C-x C-f M-b C-k i d m <tab> M-b M-b C-k w o <tab> 9
<tab> <backspace> i d m <tab> 9 <tab> 7 <tab> <tab>
t x k <tab> <return> . <tab> <return> M-> M-< M-x r
e p o r t SPC e m SPC b u SPC <return>

Recent messages:
SUBTREE (NO CHILDREN)
FOLDED
SUBTREE (NO CHILDREN)
FOLDED
SUBTREE (NO CHILDREN)
FOLDED
CHILDREN
FOLDED
Making completion list... [2 times]
Mark set [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
c:/emacs/lisp/custom/css-mode hides c:/emacs/lisp/textmodes/css-mode

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 qp
ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader gnus-util netrc mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils
wid-edit mailheader canlock sha1 hex-util hashcash mail-utils emacsbug
xslide-process xslide-font xslide-abbrev xslide-data etags imenu compile
comint ring xslide help-mode view html-mode jsp-html-helper-mode
asp-html-helper-mode php-html-helper-mode html-helper-mode tempo cl cl-19
cc-mode cc-fonts cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs org-wl org-w3m org-vm org-rmail org-mhe org-mew org-irc org-jsinfo
org-infojs org-html org-exp org-exp-blocks org-agenda org-info org-gnus
org-bibtex org-bbdb time remember org-remember org-datetree org byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile advice help-fns advice-preload org-footnote org-src
org-list org-faces org-compat org-macs easymenu time-date noutline outline
easy-mmode smtpmail sendmail regexp-opt generic-x common-fns tooltip
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 disp-table ls-lisp
w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button minibuffer faces cus-face
files text-properties overlay md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom
widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process multi-tty
emacs)