Subject: Re: bug#64428: [PATCH] Fix flymake mode line scrolling with pixel-scroll-precision-mode

From: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2023 09:16:41 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: [email-masked]
>> Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2023 21:51:01 +0000 (UTC)
>> 
>> This patch is based on the patch in bug#64425 (since I noticed this
>> unrelated issue while working on that, and they touch the same code).
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> When pixel-scroll-precision-mode is enabled, scrolling the mouse wheel
>> will yield wheel-{up,down} events.  flymake now binds the new events
>> in addition to the old mouse-wheel-{up,down}-event.
>> 
>> * lisp/progmodes/flymake.el:(flymake--mode-line-counter-scroll-prev,
>> flymake--mode-line-counter-scroll-next,
>> flymake--mode-line-counter-map): Add.
>> (flymake--mode-line-counter): Use new keymap and include 'type as a
>> property in the mode-line.
>
> Thanks.  Any reason you couldn't simply add more events to the
> existing code?

Two reasons:

1. I initially did that but it made the code uglier.  Also, this code is
run every time the mode-line is updated, and adding more of that seems
bad.

2. This makes describe-key work better and makes it possible for users
to configure the scroll direction or add more bindings for different
things.