Subject: string-width of … is 2 in CJK environments

From: SUNG TAE KIM <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 18:21:42 +0900

> By default, Emacs already treats the ellipsis as a Narrow character, and
our current idea of "context" is the value of language-environment, when
the font information is not available.

I'll try to clarify my opinion a bit more.

What I meant by default was default in the CJK language environment and the
default width of the ambiguous characters in CJK environment should be
narrow. Current emacs changes the width of ambiguous characters to wide if
the user activates the CJK environment. The unicode standard recommendation
is set the width narrow at unclear circumstances but emacs changes the
width to wide even if it can't know what font is currently used. For that
reason, I don't think such behavior is aligned well with the unicode
standard. Furthermore, The majority of the default width of those
characters in the CJK environment is narrow on contemporary implementation
of the terminals from my limited experience. However, Considering the emacs
package ecosystem, current emacs behavior is ok as long as there's an easy
option for changing such values.

I hope this makes sense.