Subject: Re: bug#64394: [PATCH] Fix `async-shell-command-display-buffer' display

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2023 11:12:14 +0300

> From: Eliza Velasquez <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2023 00:52:32 -0700
> 
> I might not have been clear with what I meant here, sorry; I mean that
> in my own personal config, when I run `mpv', its output appears in a
> buffer named `*shell:mpv*' instead of `*Async Shell Command*', and I
> have an explicit entry for it in `display-buffer-alist' so that it
> doesn't appear via `display-buffer-no-window'.  This was functioning
> well, except the moment I set `async-shell-command-display-buffer' to
> nil, the buffer displayed itself the moment mpv began to write to
> stdout.

But that's exactly what this variable is about, AFAIU:

  Whether to display the command buffer immediately.
  If t, display the buffer immediately; if nil, wait until there
  is output.

Note the last part.

So why do you think this behavior is a problem?