Subject: Re: bug#64369: Request for merging "mesa-updates" branch

From: Christopher Baines <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2023 11:36:57 +0100

John Kehayias via Bug reports for GNU Guix <[email-masked]> writes:

> This is a request to merge the recently created "mesa-updates"
> branch. Currently there are just 2 patches on there, fixing/updating
> mesa only. The main thing to see is how substitute building goes in
> case anything breaks, but I'm hoping there isn't anything caused by
> this update.
>
> I believe the "ruby-team" and "tex-team-next" [1] are ahead in the
> queue, not sure the timing of where those are. In
> addition/alternatively, would it make sense to have this branch as a
> separate build job on Cuirass directly as the "kernel-updates" branch?
> This would need a build roughly every month or so when mesa puts out a
> new update, we check for breakages, and then merge to master with
> substitutes available already.

I think ruby-team should be merged in the next few days. There's quite a
few changes in tex-team-next so that might take a little longer.

QA should start building the branch automatically when ruby-team is
merged, and I've created a specification on ci.guix.gnu.org for
mesa-updates now.

> I wasn't sure if this needs formal blockers in debbugs for the other
> branch merge requests, let me know!

I've gone ahead and reassigned this issue to guix-patches, rather than
the guix package. It's a very minor distinction, but I think
guix-patches is the right place for this issue.

As for the blocking things, I don't think that's necessary at the
moment.

Thanks,

Chris