Subject: bug#64353: closed (Re: bug#64353: 29.0.91; Doc string of `jump-to-register')

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 07:18:02 +0000

Your bug report

#64353: 29.0.91; Doc string of `jump-to-register'

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
64353: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=64353
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#64353: 29.0.91; Doc string of `jump-to-register'
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 10:17:37 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2023 19:34:55 +0000
> 
> BTW, the doc for `jump-to-register' talks about
> framesets, but the rest of library `register.el'
> was updated to change references of "frameset"
> to "frame configuration" everywhere.  Dunno
> whether that should be done also in the
> `jump-to-register' doc.

Fixed, and closing the bug.

Subject: 29.0.91; Doc string of `jump-to-register'
From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2023 19:24:41 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This part of the doc string needs improvement:

 Optional second arg non-nil (interactively, prefix argument) says to
 delete any existing frames that the frameset doesn't mention.
 (Otherwise, these frames are iconified.)

It makes no sense at all, if the register is not for a frame
configuration.

And the interactive behavior (e.g. for the prefix arg) should be
presented before the Lisp description of arguments.  And instead of (or
at least in addition to) talking about the "first" and "second" args it
should refer to them by name.  And the first line could helpfully say
"Move point to location stored in REGISTER".

In GNU Emacs 29.0.91 (build 2, x86_64-w64-mingw32) of 2023-05-14 built
 on AVALON
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.19045
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (v10.0.2009.19045.3086)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --without-dbus --with-native-compilation
 --without-compress-install --with-tree-sitter CFLAGS=-O2'

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XPM ZLIB

(NATIVE_COMP present but libgccjit not available)