Subject: bug#6434: closed (Re: bug#6434: 23.1.93; Portuguese spell-checking doesn't work with words that contain the çcharacter)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 13:53:01 +0000

Your bug report

#6434: 23.1.93; Portuguese spell-checking doesn't work with words that contain the ç character

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
6434: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=6434
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#6434: 23.1.93; Portuguese spell-checking doesn't work with words that contain the ç character
From: Agustin Martin <[email-masked]>
To: Rolando Pereira <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 15:52:26 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 11:19:08PM +0100, Rolando Pereira wrote:
> Using ispell with a Portuguese dictionary to spell check a word that
> contains either the ç or Ç characters causes the spellchecker to act as
> if those characters were word boundaries.
[...]
> The second string, corresponding to the string returned by
> the function ispell-get-casechars, should contain the values \347 and
> \307, corresponding, in that order, to the ç and Ç characters.
> 
> Also, those values should appear in the third string, which is the one
> that is returned by the function ispell-get-not-casechars.
> 
> In both cases, these values should appear inside the [].
> 
> However, trying to set the variable ispell-dictionary-base-alist with
> the correct values on my .emacs, doesn't appear to solve the problem.

Hi, thanks for reporting,

You should have used `ispell-local-dictionary-alist' instead for your
personal changes. 

Anyway, I have just commited your changes to our bzr repo and I am closing 
this bug report as fixed.

Cheers,

-- 
Agustin

Subject: 23.1.93; Portuguese spell-checking doesn't work with words that contain the ç character
From: Rolando Pereira <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 23:19:08 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Using ispell with a Portuguese dictionary to spell check a word that
contains either the ç or Ç characters causes the spellchecker to act as
if those characters were word boundaries.

Here the relevant part of the variable ispell-dictionary-base-alist
in my ispell.el.gz file:

    ("portugues"                        ; Portuguese mode
     "[a-zA-Z\301\302\311\323\340\341\342\351\352\355\363\343\372]"
     "[^a-zA-Z\301\302\311\323\340\341\342\351\352\355\363\343\372]"
     "[']" t ("-C") "~latin1" iso-8859-1)

The second string, corresponding to the string returned by
the function ispell-get-casechars, should contain the values \347 and
\307, corresponding, in that order, to the ç and Ç characters.

Also, those values should appear in the third string, which is the one
that is returned by the function ispell-get-not-casechars.

In both cases, these values should appear inside the [].

However, trying to set the variable ispell-dictionary-base-alist with
the correct values on my .emacs, doesn't appear to solve the problem.

The way I found to fix it, is by changing the return values of the
functions ispell-get-casechars and ispell-get-not-casechars as so:

(defun ispell-get-casechars ()
   "[a-zA-ZÁÂÉÓàáâéêíóãúçÇ]")

(defun ispell-get-not-casechars ()
   "[^a-zA-ZÁÂÉÓàáâéêíóãúçÇ]")

My emacs version, as returned by the emacs-version command is:
GNU Emacs 23.1.93.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.14.4) of
2010-03-04 on rolando-desktop