Subject: bug#64338: closed (Re: [PATCH RFC] gnu: ungoogled-chromium: Build with h264.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2023 09:34:02 +0000

Your bug report

#64338: [PATCH RFC] gnu: ungoogled-chromium: Build with h264.

which was filed against the guix-patches package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
64338: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=64338
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: [PATCH RFC] gnu: ungoogled-chromium: Build with h264.
From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2023 11:33:11 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Am Mittwoch, dem 28.06.2023 um 20:57 +0200 schrieb Liliana Marie
Prikler:
> * gnu/packages/chromium.scm (ungoogled-chromium)[configure-flags]:
> Change
> “rtc_use_h264=false” to “rtc_use_h264=true”.
> ---
Pushed a while ago, forgot to mark as done.

Subject: [PATCH RFC] gnu: ungoogled-chromium: Build with h264.
From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 20:57:37 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

* gnu/packages/chromium.scm (ungoogled-chromium)[configure-flags]: Change
“rtc_use_h264=false” to “rtc_use_h264=true”.
---
Hi Guix,

we haven't had a browser with a working WebRTC implementation for quite
some time now (basically, both icecat and ungoogled-chromium choke on
h264, which is very important for actually seeing video in video
conferences).  Looking at chromium in particular, the comment next to
the flag disabling this feature appears wrong/possibly outdated.
As far as I can tell, our ungoogling script already unbundles openh264,
so there is nothing to be afraid of.

WDYT?

BTW, it would of course be nice to have the same for icecat, and
possibly have a GStreamer-based WebRTC once GNOME browsers actually
come around to support this use case.  I simply looked at chromium
first because I recalled it to work perfectly fine before this flag
was added.

Cheers

@ mentors: Sorry to CC you all, but I really want at least 2 LGTMs
before pushig.

 gnu/packages/chromium.scm | 2 +-
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/gnu/packages/chromium.scm b/gnu/packages/chromium.scm
index cef21a4fd1..6a9f113831 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/chromium.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/chromium.scm
@@ -584,7 +584,7 @@ (define-public ungoogled-chromium
               "ffmpeg_branding=\"Chrome\""
 
               ;; WebRTC stuff.
-              "rtc_use_h264=false"      ;XXX needs bundled openh264
+              "rtc_use_h264=true"
               "rtc_use_pipewire=true"
               "rtc_link_pipewire=true"
               ;; Don't use bundled sources.

base-commit: b24a05830d11e3011eee4bc5f60a41e26188cde1
-- 
2.40.1