Subject: [bug#64338] [PATCH RFC] gnu: ungoogled-chromium: Build with h264.

From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 20:57:37 +0200

* gnu/packages/chromium.scm (ungoogled-chromium)[configure-flags]: Change
“rtc_use_h264=false” to “rtc_use_h264=true”.
---
Hi Guix,

we haven't had a browser with a working WebRTC implementation for quite
some time now (basically, both icecat and ungoogled-chromium choke on
h264, which is very important for actually seeing video in video
conferences).  Looking at chromium in particular, the comment next to
the flag disabling this feature appears wrong/possibly outdated.
As far as I can tell, our ungoogling script already unbundles openh264,
so there is nothing to be afraid of.

WDYT?

BTW, it would of course be nice to have the same for icecat, and
possibly have a GStreamer-based WebRTC once GNOME browsers actually
come around to support this use case.  I simply looked at chromium
first because I recalled it to work perfectly fine before this flag
was added.

Cheers

@ mentors: Sorry to CC you all, but I really want at least 2 LGTMs
before pushig.

 gnu/packages/chromium.scm | 2 +-
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/gnu/packages/chromium.scm b/gnu/packages/chromium.scm
index cef21a4fd1..6a9f113831 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/chromium.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/chromium.scm
@@ -584,7 +584,7 @@ (define-public ungoogled-chromium
               "ffmpeg_branding=\"Chrome\""
 
               ;; WebRTC stuff.
-              "rtc_use_h264=false"      ;XXX needs bundled openh264
+              "rtc_use_h264=true"
               "rtc_use_pipewire=true"
               "rtc_link_pipewire=true"
               ;; Don't use bundled sources.

base-commit: b24a05830d11e3011eee4bc5f60a41e26188cde1
-- 
2.40.1